Does every international student need a student pass to study in Malaysia?
Yes, this is a mandatory requirement under the laws and regulations of the Government of Malaysia.

Can I apply for a student pass directly or do I have to apply through UTP?
Depending on your Institution type, you will have two options to do this:
a. Apply for your Visa online.
Students who have received offer letters from Public Universities and Private Higher Education Institutions (IPTS) only will have the option to apply for their student Visa directly through the Education Malaysia website.
b. Apply for your visa through your Institution.
The application can also be made through the institution. Once you submit the payment and all required documents to the institution, they will begin the process of applying for your Visa Approval Letter (VAL).

What are the entry requirements to study at UTP?
Malaysian requirement
International students must have at least twelve (12) years of education and have undergone a national/international examination recognised by the Ministry of Higher Education for admission to a diploma or degree programmes.
UTP requirement
Please refer to the admission for International Applicant under entry requirements

Do I need to pass the IELTS or TOEFL examinations to obtain admission to a degree programme in UTP?
Yes. Refer to the admission for International Applicant under entry requirements

Can I open a bank account?
Yes, once you get your student pass, you can open a bank account by filling up this form and submit the copy of your student pass and passport details to ISAS office in Level 3 Pocket D, UTP.

Is it advisable to take hostel accommodation or private accommodation?
It solely depends upon your personal choices, but we encourage the students to take the university hostel accommodation. If you were planning to bring your dependents and looking for the private accommodation, please consult personally with ISAS officer in ISAS office in Level 3 Pocket D, UTP.

If my student pass application is rejected, can I get a refund for the application processing fee?
No, the processing fee is non-refundable

Can I work while on a student pass?
All international students studying at public or private higher education institutions are allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week ONLY during semester breaks or holidays of more than seven (7) days at restaurants, petrol kiosks, mini markets and hotels as long as their student passes remain valid. Please note that prior approval from the Department of Immigration is required.
International students are NOT permitted to work as cashiers. Also, in the hotel sector, international students are NOT allowed to work as singers, masseurs, musicians or GROs (Guest Relation Officers). International students are not permitted to engage in any job or activity deemed to be immoral.
Applications to work part-time must be made through the educational institution at which the international students are enrolled. The international student needs to be present with the representative of the educational institution at the Immigration Department of Malaysia to apply for part-time work.

Can I pursue two degrees at the same time?
No, you are only allowed to study one full-time degree at any one time.

Do you offer any scholarships/Can I get a scholarship?
No, but you may refer to the Malaysian government offered scholarship opportunities to talented students. For further information on these scholarships, you can refer to this link:

What are the tuition fees for international students?
Please refer to the admission for International Applicant under tuition fees.

I have lost my iKad, what must I do?
Please submit a police report immediately. You will then be required to provide a copy of the police report to your institution and inform them to apply for a new iKad. Please note that there will be a fee charged for the issuance of a new iKad.

How can I check whether my passport was submitted to EMGS or collected by the institution?
You can track your application status on our website to check whether EMGS has received your passport. You can also download the EMGS mobile app to your mobile phone to get automatic notifications.