1. What is student pass in Malaysia?
A student pass is a pass issued by the Malaysia Immigration for the purposes of study in Malaysia. It is a multiple entry visa (MEV) which gives you permission to remain in Malaysia at an approved institution on an approved course. A MEV is issued to allow you to make any number of journeys / entries into Malaysia.
2. Does international student need a student pass to study in Malaysia?
Yes, this is a mandatory requirement under the laws and regulations of the Government of Malaysia, specifically under Malaysia Immigration Department.
Furthermore, one of the requirements for the attestation/endorsement of your academic certificate at Malaysia Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) is to provide copy of student pass from your first entry until graduate. Therefore, you need to have a student pass until your name has been listed in the Senate Meeting for graduation.
3. What is the role of EMGS & Immigration on the student pass matter?
- EMGS – The body that is appointed by the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) Malaysia to manage student pass applications in Malaysia
- Malaysia Immigration Department – Grant Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to study in Malaysia.
- Ipoh State Immigration Department – The issuance of student pass is solely under the discretion of Immigration State Department Office. For UTP students, the issuance, extension & cancellation of student pass is under the authority of Ipoh State Immigration Department.
4. What is the application procedure for the student pass?
For a new student, the application needs to be made through Education Malaysia Global Service (EMGS) system by the students. Once the application is created, Universities will monitor and assist on the process.
For renewal application, the application needs to be made through Education Malaysia Global Service (EMGS) system by the universities. Student and universities need to monitor the progress.
For UTP students, the issuance, extension & cancellation of student pass is under the authority of Ipoh State Immigration Department.
5. What is the validity of the student pass?
Under the Ipoh State Immigration Department, the student pass will be issued on annual basis. Hence, students need to renew the student pass every year.
6. What happen if my student pass had expired?
According to the rules and regulation of Malaysia Immigration Department, once your student pass expired, you will be given ninety (90) days to get your student pass sticker affix to your passport. Should you fail to get it done within the time frame, you have to apply again for the student pass as a new application.