Variation Application – Change Course or University
1. What is Variation?
A variation application is any application where a student wants to change:
- Course or Programme within the same Institution
while at the same level of study (e.g. Bachelor’s/Masters/Phd). It happens before the student completes their current course/programme of study.
The application is considered as new application. The process duration for new application is 90 days to be completed upon submission of your new application to EMGS.
2. How many times can I change?
A student is only allowed to change a university or course twice in the same level of education in three (3) different universities/ colleges.
A holder of one time-off student pass is allowed to change a university or course only once during their study in Malaysia.
3. What should I do?
Student pass is not transferable. You need to apply a new application to get a new student pass. The current student pass needs to be cancelled and shortened at the State Immigration Department that issued your current pass.
4. Do I need to exit the Malaysia during the process?
It depends on the type of the pass you are holding at the time of application, as well as the type of institution you are transferring to or from.
Upon submission to EMGS, if the current student pass valid within 90 days and the new student pass can be issued during this period, the student does not need to leave Malaysia. However, should your current pass nearing expiry and the process has yet to be completed, the student MUST leave the country to avoid being overstay.
5. What are the requirements?
Below are the general documents that you need to provide to PIC to process the application/ cancel your student pass.
|Student Status||Documents||Change Course||Change Institution||PIC|
|UTP Student||Letter of Change Course||√||ISMU|
|UTP Student||Admission Offer Letter from New Institution||√||ISMU|
|Student from another institutions||Release Letter from Previous University||√||ARM|
|Student||Other Documents: Education Malaysia Global Services||Consider as new application||Student|
6. I am a UTP student and I want to change the course/ programme. Can I have the full checklist of the documents?
For Undergraduate & Foundation, you need to request for Change of Course/Programme from REX - F & UG Change Programme.
Once you application had been approved,
Upon submission of your new application to EMGS, if student has a valid pass within 90 days and the new student pass can be issued during this period, the student does not need to leave Malaysia. However, should your current pass nearing expiry and the process has yet to be completed, the student MUST leave the country to avoid being overstay.
7. I am UTP student and I want to change to another institution. How to cancel the student pass?You are required to cancel your student pass with UTP. Otherwise, your new institution cannot process your new application.
Please submit the documents below to ISMU office:
- Admission Offer Letter from New Institution
- Proof of clearance at UCS system. Please screenshot your clearance at UCS: REG - Student Exit Clearance · Customer Self-Service
- Physical passport
- No outstanding fees
8. I am a from another university and want to transfer to UTP. Who should I liaise with?Please liaise with our Admission Unit below:
- Ms. Nur Syafiqah M Sharin - email@example.com